Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Exotic Reuben Sandwiches

What not to do--

Here is how it sets up.  Leftover corned beef and a husband who wants Reuben sandwiches for supper.

I get all of the ingredients out:  corned beef, cheese, rye bread, Russian dressing, sauerkraut, and a tub of butter.

I heat up my cast iron griddle.

I start my assembly of two sandwiches:
  1. Butter one side of each slice of bread.  Since I emptied the butter tub, I use it to place one slice of bread buttered-side down on the tub and one on the small  yellow lid totally covering the little lid.
  2. Place sauerkraut on each slice of bread.
  3. Place thin slices of leftover corned beef on top of the sauerkraut.
  4. Place slice of cheese on top of the corned beef.
  5. Poured a little Russian dressing on top of the cheese slice.
  6. Place another slice of bread with the buttered side up on top of the sandwich.
Now, I pick up each sandwich and place them straight onto the hot griddle.  

After about 3 minutes, I use a spatula and turn the sandwiches over.  First sandwich, no problem.  Second sandwich, after I turned it, I noticed this yellow foam on it.  Funny, I thought.  I didn't put anything yellow on it.  I assumed that for some strange reason the butter had turned yellow.  Wrong thought. but that was what I thought.  This was after two days of working on taxes.  After another 3 minutes or so, I removed both sandwiches to our plates.

We began to eat our sandwiches.  I kept the one with the hint of yellow.  The yellow was quite crunchy.  I thought that maybe the cheese had melted and became crusty.  For some reason, I returned to the kitchen and the brain finally kicked in.  There was my empty butter tub but where was the yellow lid.  Oh no, I thought, I just ate plastic.  Luckily, I had only taken a small bite.

There was no odor or anything.  Just a little yellow foam.  No real mess.  Later in the evening, there was a kind of plastic smell in the air. 

Tonight, I think I might have qualified for "Worst Cooks in America". 


No comments:

Post a Comment